Please request "Holding Out For Hiro" by Luke Ski for "The Dr. Demento Show!"
the great Luke Ski
2007-09-24 05:01:02 UTC
Luke Ski Update - September 23rd, 2007

The headlines:

* Request "HOLDING OUT FOR HIRO", "DEMENTIA REVOLUTION",
and/or "IT TAKES WHO", for "The Dr. Demento Show"
at: http://www.clamhead.com/drd.php !

* "HOLDING OUT FOR HIRO" featuring Carrie Dahlby
Download Luke Ski new "Heroes" tribute now at http://www.thefump.com !
You can hear it this weekend's episode of "The Dr. Demento Show"!
http://www.drdemento.com

~~~~~

Please REQUEST Luke Ski's 2007 hits for "THE DR. DEMENTO SHOW"!

"DEMENTIA REVOLUTION" featuring MC Lars was 3 on the Funny Five this
week, putting it at 18 and "IT TAKES WHO" at 20 on the current fan-
made predictions for the Funny 25 of 2007. And given all the positive
feedback I've gotten thus far for the song "HOLDING OUT FOR
HIRO" (which aired on "The Dr. Demento Show" for the first time
tonight), it just might have a chance too! It would make me really
happy if I could get a song within the top five of the Funny 25 of
2007 (because "Sudden Death's" reign of terror must be stopped!!!*),
so I hope all you Dr. Demento Show fans, FuMP fans, and Luke Ski fans
will show your support by REQUESTING one or more of these tracks for
his show. The request page is found at: http://www.clamhead.com/drd.php
, and of course to listen to the show online, go to http://www.drdemento.com
!

* Of course, by 'terror', I mean 'completely awesome kick-ass rap
dementia that rules a lot'.

~~~~~

"HOLDING OUT FOR HIRO"
A new parody song tribute to "Heroes"
By 'the great Luke Ski', featuring Carrie Dahlby
With music by Jared Ringold & keyboards by ShoEboX

Download it for FREE right now at
"The Funny Music Project",
a.k.a. www.TheFuMP.com !!!

It's also up on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/thegreatlukeski

You can hear it this weekend's episode of "The Dr. Demento Show"!
You can submit a request for him to play it again here:
http://www.clamhead.com/drd.php
And you can listen to his show here:
www.drdemento.com

Carrie Dahlby - http://www.carriedahlby.com
Possible Oscar - http://www.possibleoscar.com
Worm Quartet - http://www.wormquartet.com

~~~~~
bs
2007-09-24 10:08:24 UTC
Hey Luke, I ain't gonna be requesting doodley squat if I can't listen to
the Dr. Demento Show. Since it's not on the radio in my area, the only way
I have to hear it is the stations that stream his show. Since he's now
stopped the last station I know from doing that, you're audience just got a
lot smaller. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

snuffy
Phil Erickson
2007-09-24 11:59:19 UTC
Post by bs
Hey Luke, I ain't gonna be requesting doodley squat if I can't listen to
the Dr. Demento Show. Since it's not on the radio in my area, the only way
I have to hear it is the stations that stream his show. Since he's now
stopped the last station I know from doing that, you're audience just got a
lot smaller. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
snuffy
Ditto for me (KRDE just halted its web broadcast). I live in New
England = no radio stations broadcasting Dr D = no listening for me =
no chance of requesting your stuff (which is very good, by the way).

There are a lot of us out here. Maybe you should bring this up with
Dr D himself, since he is about to kill all the nice exposure you get
on his program due to his distributor's stupid rules.

----
Phil
peterpuck9
2007-09-24 17:05:07 UTC
Post by Phil Erickson
Post by bs
Hey Luke, I ain't gonna be requesting doodley squat if I can't listen to
the Dr. Demento Show. Since it's not on the radio in my area, the only way
I have to hear it is the stations that stream his show. Since he's now
stopped the last station I know from doing that, you're audience just got a
lot smaller. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
snuffy
Ditto for me (KRDE just halted its web broadcast). I live in New
England = no radio stations broadcasting Dr D = no listening for me =
no chance of requesting your stuff (which is very good, by the way).
There are a lot of us out here. Maybe you should bring this up with
Dr D himself, since he is about to kill all the nice exposure you get
on his program due to his distributor's stupid rules.
----
Phil
I agree. I stopped almost all requests because I can't listen to the
show. I will only do it as a personal favor.

By the way, if you can't get Dr. Demento, there are some podcasts to
listen to here:

www.themadmusicarchive.com

Look under "Features"

Pete
the great Luke Ski
2007-09-24 18:29:18 UTC
Um, you guys are aware that you can listen to his show by getting the
episodes streaming from his website, right?

Yes, I know you have to pay for them. But it's only $2.00. Two dollars
to get over 90 solid minutes of awesome music from your favorite DJ.
And you can listen to it when it's convenient for you, not when
whatever station is streaming it.

Back in the 80's and early 90's when I lived in an area that didn't
have the Dr. Demento Show, if I had been given the opportunity to hear
the show for the price of $2 a week, I would have gladly paid for it
like the squeeing fanboy I was (and still is. Am. Whatever.)

And when it comes down to it, it's his show, not mine. I really don't
have any influence over his business decisions. If you feel strongly
about it, write / email him and let him know how you feel.

I feel for you guys, and I hope you can get to hear the show again. I
also hope the Dr. Demento Show stays on the air for another 37 years
or more.

Luke
Phil Erickson
2007-09-24 23:54:58 UTC
Post by the great Luke Ski
[...]
Hi Luke,

Yes, I've expressed myself directly to Dr D. I'll be interested to
see the reply. I am aware of the $2 per streaming downloaded show,
but frankly the 40 kbps version you get for your $2 is kind of like
listening to shortwave radio fidelity; i.e. pretty cruddy. You can
get something better (96 kbps) but only if you pay what works out to
$180/year, and I'm told they restrict how many shows you can listen to
per month and the back archives are not that complete.

And these shows are streaming, meaning you get one shot and that's
it. If your net connection dies in the middle (as can happen)..
sorry.

It's just too much for too little. I'll try to keep listening to
you and other artists directly through your web sites, but if things
don't change at Dr D, I guess I'll have to do my own compilations.
Keep up the good work, though!

Best,
Phil
j***@yahoo.com
2007-09-25 02:28:01 UTC
Post by the great Luke Ski
Um, you guys are aware that you can listen to his show by getting the
episodes streaming from his website, right?
Luke-

I'd love to help you out by requesting your stuff, but like the
others, I don't see the point if no one can hear the show any more. $2
per week for 90 minutes may not sound like a lot, but that's more than
I pay for my satellite radio which brings in many stations around the
clock. Also, in a given show, at least half of the stuff will be
things that he's played (and I've heard) before. That's okay because a
lot of the stuff is good, but it effectively doubles the price for the
new stuff.

I used the show is a way of finding out about new things I could
support by buying the CDs from the artist. Without being able to hear
the new stuff, I won't be buying any more CDs from you or others
making funny music. I did write in to voice my concern but I don't
expect to hear back, nor do I expect anything to come of it.

If anyone in a broadcast area is interested in parking a little
Windows machine I've got with an FM radio card in it on their network,
drop me a note. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for how to get
access to the show. $2 for about 45 minutes of new (or at least new to
me) stuff each week is not a bargain.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's good stuff. If you can get some air
play on an XM station of a radio station in the Boston area, I'll be
happy to hear what you're up to.
peterpuck9
2007-09-25 03:44:43 UTC
Post by the great Luke Ski
[...]

Yes I am aware of that. I believe the worst thing about it is not
being able to download it to my iPod. I really do miss listening to
Dr. Demento, but this is not a good alternative. So I will listen to
your music in various other podcasts and of course at the FuMP.
Thanks............Pete
D a v i d T a n n y
2007-09-26 02:54:11 UTC
Most any demented music podcast is available on RSS feeds nowadays.

Talonian should have partnered with Mad Music Archive instead of
screwing with Wayne.

Maybe that's why I no longer bother any of the radio stations to pick up
the Dr. Demento Show anymore. A radio station has nothing in it for them
if they are not allowed to stream the show to their listeners and pick
up the listeners from out of their markets. Let KGB play reruns of DSC
on weekends to millions of listeners for free instead of carrying a show
that they have to black out for two friggin hours because some moron
syndicator acts like a crybaby if their show is streamed to expose the
artists to millions of potential listeners.

Talonian lives in 1992. The company can't seem to get radio right.
Clear Channel's Premiere Radio Networks can do a better job syndicating
than the bozos at Talonian. Talonian might as well sell their company or
fold. They ain't got a clue how to be in the radio bidness.

No offense to anybody, but I'm using my resources to request songs Dr.
Demento never played on his show (I can't request my own songs).
TV's Kyle got played over the weekend. I'm not sure if it's the result
of my request since I never listen to most of the Dr. D shows downloaded
from a USENET group nowdays.
Thanks............Pete
Tim Ryan
2007-09-25 15:51:06 UTC
Okay, I can't resist any longer...

Luke,

We were Holding Out For A Hero, someone to plead the cause, someone
it takes who will lose more than just listeners...someone who will lose
their fanboys and fangirls. If the artists can't put on the pressure to
make sure there are hundreds and hundreds of listeners across the
internet, instead of the four or five out of that group that will go to
listen by paying, then they deserve the shrunken audience. Artists and
audience need to raise there voices and concerns.

Signed, a DrD fan.
-Tim

Luke
D a v i d T a n n y
2007-09-26 02:37:35 UTC
Wait a minute, Tim. Are you saying that is there a possiblilty
that a united front of demented artists can influence Dr. Demento's show
heads to let the affilliates stream the shows? Should the artists deny
Dr. Demento permission to play their songs on their show until this
nostreaming game is gone?