Luke Ski Update - January 5th, 2006
the great Luke Ski
2006-01-06 02:43:56 UTC
Luke Ski Update - January 5th, 2006
Written by Luke Sienkowski (a.k.a. the great Luke Ski)

Hey everybody, Luke Ski here,

Wow, I haven't sent one of these in a MONTH! And because of that,
there is a lot of actual news to report! So here we go:

Here's the Gnews in brief:

* If it's Thursday night, "Dementia Revolution" is on the air RIGHT
NOW!
* "Vader Boy" hits #4 on Dr. Demento's Funny 25 of 2005!
* Dr. Demento to premiere new original Luke Ski song on Jan. 22nd Show!
* You can now listen to "the Dr. Demento Show" streaming on-line
for $2.00 an episode!
* Two new fan-made Luke Ski Music Videos, "Wannabe A Slayer" and
"Vader Boy"!
* MARSCON 2006 - Luke Ski and at least 6 other legendary dementia
artists!
* "Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon: Volume 2" Charity CD available
now!
* Luke Ski creates "Adornments" jewelry store website for his sister,
Amy!

If it's THURSDAY NIGHT, then tune into DEMENTIA RADIO!!! Luke Ski is on
the air RIGHT NOW!!!

If you're reading this message and it's Thursday night between 9 pm and
11pm central time, then tune into Dementia Radio for my show "Dementia
Revolution"! It's 2 hours of all the best comedy music, stand-up,
sketches, rap dementia, and other generally hilarious shiznit!

How can you listen? Well start up your Winamp, hit Ctrl-L, and then
enter one of the two following addresses: http://dementiaradio.org:8000
for dialup users, or http://dementiaradio.org:8027 for broadband users.
It may be also be possible to use other MP3 players to listen, like
ITunes, Real Player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, or Soniqe.

How can you make a request for "Dementia Revolution"? You can make
requests in the mIRC EFnet chat channels #dementia and #weird-al, or
via AOL IM to the handle "thegreatLukeSki", or via ICQ to the handle
"LukeSki" (#19122313), or by e-mailing him at ***@Juno.com.

AND DON'T FORGET! Before the revolution begins, at 7 pm central time,
you can hear "Dementia Dimension" hosted by Carrie Dahlby, and at 8 pm
central time, be sure to tune into the "All You Can Eat Buffet Of
Musical Madness" with your host Chris Waffle, representin' dementia
rock in the LBC! So, to recap, that's:

7:00 pm to 8:00 pm CST - "Dementia Dimension" with Carrie Dahlby
8:00 pm to 9:00 pm CST - "The All-U-Can-Eat Buffet Of Musical Madness"
with Chris Waffle!
9:00 pm to 11:00 pm CST - "Dementia Revolution" with the great Luke
Ski!

It's Dementia Radio's Thursday night 'Pimp My WinAmp!' So be there
and we'll keep the tunes and the rims spinnin'!

"VADER BOY" HITS #4 ON DR. DEMENTO'S FUNNY 25 OF 2005!!!

My goal for the Dr. Demento Show for 2005 was this: In this final year
of "Star Wars" new-movie mania, to have the highest ranking "Star Wars"
related song on the Funny 25. I personally felt I got hosed in 1997 and
1999 because "Y.O.D.A.", my most popular song at conventions at the
time, was never given a chance. In 2002, the timing of the release of
"Uber Geek" didn't give me a chance to do anything to coincide with
"Episode II" (however that was the year I got my first #1 with "Peter
Parker"). So, assuming that 2005 was my last chance to dominate in the
"Star Wars" comedy niche, as a person who had to endure having the name
'Luke' for the past 31 years felt was his birthright, I set out to
create the funniest, catchiest, rockingest song that I could make, to
both pay tribute to and rip apart "Episode III". With the help of the
late great "the Nick Atoms" who will never ever be forgotten and will
be greatly missed, and the lovely Avril-tastic vocals of the
effervescent and continually-pink Carrie Dahlby, and with the constant
love and support of you, my friends and fans, I was able to make this
dream of mine come true. I thank you all so much. I also give a shout
out to UFO Phil and Robert Lund, congrats on making the list, but
please forgive me for being the ultimate Master Vader. >:) I don't
really have a specific goal for 2006 on "the Dr. Demento Show", other
than to keep making more of the best funny songs and sketches I can to
help contribute to his show, and to the greater good of the genre and
fandom of dementia everywhere. So I thank you all again.

Other comments on the highlights of the Funny 25 of 2005: There are 2
songs from the CD "Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon: Volume 2: Funny
Musicians For A Serious Cause" (pick it up now at
http://www.funnymusicians.com, those being "Granny and the Kid" by the
legendary Barnes and Barnes (their first new song in a few years) and
"My Cat Is Afraid Of The Vaccuum Cleaner" by the awesome Power Salad.
HOORAY! POWER SALAD HAS RETURNED TO US!!! Please stay forever! Don't
make me go all 'Katie's Dream' on you! :) And of course a big hearty
well deserved congrats goes out to Devo Spice for landing the first
ever "Sudden Death" song at #1 on the Funny 25 countdown! Assisted of
course by ShoEboX of Worm Quartet, "Inner Voice" is a completely
hilarious song, which I predicted upon first hearing it in December of
2004 would be the #1 song of 2005. So hold onto that battery powered
carrot and proudly raise it high over the Jersey shoreline, and declare
your superiority to all who watch 'Party of Five' season two on DVD
with french subtitles. To read the whole list, check the post done by
our reigning champ:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/devospice/75965.html

DR. DEMENTO TO PREMIERE NEW LUKE SKI SONG ON JANUARY 22ND EPISODE!

Hot off the digital presses, Dr. Demento intends to premiere MY NEW
ORIGINAL SONG on his January 22nd, 2006 episode. It features myself on
all vocals, vocal arrangement by Carrie Dahlby, instrumental
arrangement by Jared Ringold, and tenor sax by Duane Alfveby. I hope
you all will like it, I'm really happy with it. Dr. D called it "Very
nice, and a cool new stylistic move for you, imho." So wind up your
radios and get ready for what I hope will be my next big hit. :)

To find out what RADIO STATIONS in your area carry the show, you can do
so here: http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html
The OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.drdemento.com
The NEWSGROUP WEBSITE: http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris

If you'd like to listen to the show ON-LINE, keep reading... >:)

YOU CAN NOW LISTEN TO "THE DR. DEMENTO SHOW" ON-LINE FOR $2.00 A
SHOW!!!

That's right! It's the news all us hardcore fans have been waiting
for for years! Just go to:

http://drdemento.net/online.html

It's a legal stream for all of you people who either live in a place
that doesn't get "the Dr. Demento Show", or if your job hours
prevent you from being able to tune in when it airs! Not only can you
listen to the Funny 25 of 2005 (in both censored and uncensored
versions to choose from), but you can hear all the episodes from the
past 2 months, and dozens from years past! FOR JUST $2.00 EACH!!!

Now, this isn't a pod-cast style download, it's an audio stream, so
you'll have to sit and listen to the whole thing once you start
listening (although I have heard you can hit pause if you need to).
But hey, it's "the Dr. Demento Show" legal on-line audio outlet
of the current episodes for only $2.00 each. Praise be to the Fish
Head gods for bring this joy into all of our lives. So when you're
not listening to Dementia Radio, you can wind up your computer at
http://www.drdemento.com !

TWO NEW FAN MADE LUKE SKI MUSIC VIDEOS: "WANNABE A SLAYER" &
"VADER BOY"!

Busy super-fan Shana, a.k.a. andric / Postal Pichu / Yuuki Miaka, put
together two new fan-made music videos for "Wannabe A Slayer" and
"Vader Boy" utilizing clips from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and
the "Star Wars" movies, respectively. They totally rule, and you
need to check them out ASAP at the free MP3 page at Luke Ski Dot Com!

http://www.lukeski.com/freemp3s.htm

You can also get the free MP3s of the month for December and January
while you're there, "Star Wars Trilogy Homesick Blues", and
"House Party At Arkham Asylum"!

So... anyone else up for making some fan-made Luke Ski MVs? (Bill Putt
has dibs on "Grease Wars").

MARSCON 2006
http://marscon.org
Bloomington, MN - Holiday Inn Select (suburb of Minneapolis / St. Paul,
MN)
March 3, 4, & 5th, 2006

Taken from both http://marscon.org/2006/music/index.php and from my own
discussions with Earl Luckes and the con com, here is an updated list
of the comedy music acts performing at MarsCon 2006:

Musical Guest Of Honor: Tom Smith - http://www.tomsmithonline.com
the great Luke Ski - http://www.lukeski.com
Sudden Death - http://www.suddendeath.org
Worm Quartet - http://www.wormquartet.com
The Gothsicles - http://www.thegothsicles.com
Carla Ulbrich - http://www.carlau.com
Eric Coleman - http://eric-coleman.com

So now all who we need to hear back from are our friends from the west
coast (R&S, TT) to see if there's any chance any of them can make it to
the party. I certainly hope so. (Update: "Hot Waffles" can't make it
due to needing the travel funds for Tim's upcoming wedding. Congrats
Tim, we'll miss you guys, let's see about coming next year!)

The Gothsicles will perform on Friday night in the Main Room, and the
rest of the acts will have their own concert slots on Saturday
afternoon in the Main Room. And FYI for all you hard-core Luke Ski
fans, Luke Ski's concert on Saturday is going to be filmed for his
upcoming DVD release! It will be the ultimate Luke Ski concert that you
are NOT going to want to miss!

Are you the type of con-go-er whose duty it is to party all night and
make a public spectacle of yourself? Then MarsCon will deliver! Besides
the excellent, creative, and fun room parties, there is also Karaoke
Joe's Cafe (http://marscon.org/2006/music/karaoke.php) providing a huge
selection of music and a karaoke contest on Saturday night. Also, there
will be FILKING! How could there not be with a Music GoH like Tom Smith
here, as well as Eric Coleman, Carla Ulbrich, and more! I have no idea
where it will be, just check your con guide when you get there. :)

And on Saturday at Midnight, there will be a live on stage performance
of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Once More With Feeling: The Musical!",
done 'Rocky Horror' style with a full cast acting out the show in front
of the big screen! It's being run by Carrie Dahlby, a.k.a. pixelene,
who will be playing Buffy, with the great Luke Ski as Spike. Contact
Carrie (***@yahoo.com) if you want to be in the show.

On Sunday, we'll have the "Dementia Smackdown" hosted by Earl Luckes,
(a.k.a. wyngarde of the late, great, "The Nick Atoms"), who is also the
Dementia Chair this year. Earl will be bringing up all our comedy music
guests to do another tune or two, leading up to closing ceremonies, so
we can bring the show to a grand finale!

(Also performing at MarsCon 2006 will be Possum Willy -
http://www.possumwilly.com/home.html Unfortunately, I have never heard
them perform, so I am not sure if they are comedy music or not, or if
they're going to be involved with the dementia track, but we shall see.
I am sure they are talented people too.) :)

Pre-registration ends on January 31st, at a price of $42.00 for the
weekend. After that you'll have to pay $55.00 at the door. So go
pre-reg now and reserve your hotel room via the links at the MarsCon
2006 website, http://www.marscon.org . You know you wanna be there, so
get to it! :) :) :)

This message brought to you by the L.C. Sienkowski committee for
publicly promoting an awesome convention with a ton of funny music acts
that rules a lot.

Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon: Volume 2: Funny Musicians For A Serious
Cause

Back in 2001 when tragedy struck in the U.S., many comedy musicians
from across the country got together and released a CD to help raise
money for the Twin Towers Orphand Fund, entitled "Laughter Is A
Powerful Weapon: Funny Musicians For A Serious Cause". Now in 2005,
when tragedy struck our country again, that same group of artists
(joined by some welcomed new ones) has come together again, and through
the combined efforts of Grant Baciocco, Jean Prior, and Chris
Mezzolesta, has released "Volume 2" to raise money for the American
Red Cross to help the victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

This CD is almost 78 minutes, chock full of some of the best songs and
sketches of the past few years, many of which are unreleased rarities.
"Weird Al" Yankovic donated a new 2005 stereo remix of the Placebo
Records version of his song "Happy Birthday". Jon "Bermuda"
Schwartz donated a new 30th Anniversay remix of his classic cover of
"Mr. Ghost Goes To Town". Barnes & Barnes donated their first new
song in a few years, "Granny and the Kid". There is an exclusive
never-before-heard episode of "The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd".
Other contributors to this CD include Sudden Death, Worm Quartet, Power
Salad, The Nick Atoms, Raymond & Scum, Hot Waffles, Rob Paravonian, Tom
Smith, Carla Ulbrich, Eric Coleman, Steven Banks, Henry Phillips, The
Four Postmen, and more. The liner notes were written by Dr. Demento
himself.

And just in case this somehow isn't enough to convince you to pick up
this CD A.S.A.P., I'll let all you hardcore fans of "the great Luke
Ski", know that this CD contains two rare Luke Ski tracks that were
deleted from my 2005 album "unCONVENTIONal", as well as my live
performance as Sancho Panza in Shockwave Radio Theatre's "The
Possible Dream" from MarsCon 2004.

To order, and by doing so help us raise money for the American Red
Cross, you can visit the album's page at Cdbaby.com:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/fmsc2

And while you are there, you can also order "Volume 1", which is
still available, and still raising money for the Twin Towers Orphan
Fund:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/fmsc

I just got done listening to "Volume 2" for the first time, and I have
to say it's excellent. My personal favorite tracks on it are Power
Salad's "My Cat Is Afraid Of The Vaccuum Cleaner", and Worm
Quartet's "you were wrong cabinet sanchez", and all you Sci-Fi
geeks will love "The Mining Ship The Red Dwarf" by Marc Gunn and
the Dubliners' Tabby Cats. Why you can't throw a toaster at this CD
without hidding an awesome track!

So what are you waiting for? Some sort of gift-exchange oriented
holiday? No! Order it now, so you can get it before then! Order
multiple copies, so you can give them to your family and friends! Just
do it now, I say! NOW NOW NOW!!!

Seriously, it's a great CD for a great cause. If you can afford it,
please order it. And please let your friends know about it.

Luke Ski creates "Adornments" jewelry store website for his sister,
Amy!

http://www.lukeski.com/adornments.htm

Hi. Are you a girl? Do you like jewelry? Do you have money? If you
answered yes to at least two of those three questions, then chances are
you'll want to check out the new website I've put together for my
sister. It's called "Adornments by Amy", and it features hand-crafted
beaded necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and purses, previously only
available at special events, craft fairs, and the corner of Luke's
merch table at miscellaneous conventions. And hey! All you males out
there don't need to feel left out, because chances are you know a
female, and I'd wager that you can win boku brownie points with her by
picking up something for her that is colorful and shiny and dangley.
Remember, all those gift-giving-oriented holidays are just around the
corner. So go visit "Adornments by Amy" today!

http://www.lukeski.com/adornments.htm

.
Amanda
.
Wayne S Garmil
2006-01-09 15:18:32 UTC
Post by Amanda
Just so you know...don't do any favors for Luke. He doesn't
appreciate them.
Where did this statement come from?? I may have only known Luke
personally for two years now (and chatting with him online for a
little over a year before I met him face to face), but I have never
seen him as being unnappreciative to me or anyone else who helps him
out, either at his shows or behind the scenes. Yes, he can get cranky
at the end of the day, but we all get that way sometimes. That is the
closest I can think of regarding this accusation.

I really hope this message is just a troll with someone else's name
attached to it. And if so, my apologies to everyone for being the
Purina Troll Chow this morning. But my personal experiences regarding
Luke are the opposite of this accussation, and I wanted to speak up.

Wayne
--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn
(_(_/ <_</_(_/ (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_/_ | -Rolling Stones, "Paint It Black"
peterpuck9
2006-01-09 15:50:58 UTC
Thanks for speaking up. I don't know Luke Ski, but from what I hear,
he's a good guy. Anyway, his personal life is not relavant to this
forum............Pete
Eric Houg
2006-01-10 04:19:20 UTC
If you don't have enough enemies on your shit list and would like to add some
unsubstantiated doodyhead claims, rec.music.dementia is the place to get 'em.
Carrie Dahlby
2006-01-11 01:21:11 UTC
Trash talk comments such as yours do NOT belong in a public
forum such as this. At best you're being "unprofessional"; at worst
you're being a troll.

Don't do us any "favors" by giving us any more of your oh-so in-depth
and thought-provoking character analyses.

~Carrie Dahlby~
.
peterpuck9
2006-01-08 06:05:38 UTC
Not to do you any favors, but I just brought three of your CDs (in
addition to "Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon II") and they were really
hysterical. I would have brought "Carpe Dementia" too, but it was not
available. (Status?) I had heard from some of your friends in the
dementia community that you really enjoyed selling your CDs, so I
thought I would drop you a line. Thanks....Pete
Eric
2006-01-10 19:36:57 UTC
Post by Amanda
Just so you know...don't do any favors for Luke. He doesn't appreciate them.
If you are just going to be catty, keep it to yourself. If you have
some actual grievance, take it to the person in question. If you're
just being a whiny troll, prepare to be made fun of

Eric (who is always willing to tell folks who he is, unlike whiny
internet trolls)
eric-coleman.com
R H Draney
2006-01-10 22:27:59 UTC
Post by Eric
Post by Amanda
Just so you know...don't do any favors for Luke. He doesn't appreciate them.
If you are just going to be catty, keep it to yourself. If you have
some actual grievance, take it to the person in question. If you're
just being a whiny troll, prepare to be made fun of
And (one remaining possibility) if you actually know Luke and this is some kind
of inside joke, it was a little *too* inside....r
Eric
2006-01-11 16:22:35 UTC
I know Luke moderately well, and I don't see a joke here.