Cinnamon Cake Song
Bill Smith
2016-07-12 15:40:52 UTC
When I was very young, my parents had a 78 rpm novelty record that I played until the grooves were smooth. It was done using speeded-up playback, much like the Chipmunks would become famous for later. One side was a song called "Cinnamon Cake", or something like that, and the other was an old standard, "Did You Ever See a Dream Walking". They were both supposed to be duets between a girl and boy squirrel or beaver or muskrat or something else small and furry. The record must have been produced in the mid to late 1940s. Anybody ever hear of this one? I have drawn a complete blank searching the Internet, but I figured that if there was ever a group that might know, this is it.
RH Draney
2016-07-12 17:18:51 UTC
Post by Bill Smith
When I was very young, my parents had a 78 rpm novelty record that I played until the grooves were smooth. It was done using speeded-up playback, much like the Chipmunks would become famous for later. One side was a song called "Cinnamon Cake", or something like that, and the other was an old standard, "Did You Ever See a Dream Walking". They were both supposed to be duets between a girl and boy squirrel or beaver or muskrat or something else small and furry. The record must have been produced in the mid to late 1940s. Anybody ever hear of this one? I have drawn a complete blank searching the Internet, but I figured that if there was ever a group that might know, this is it.
Don't recognize the record, but that flip side pretty much pins it down
to 1933 or later..."Did You Ever See A Dream Walking" was written that
year and became an instant hit for Bing Crosby and lots of others...it
turned up in a lot of cartoons as instrumental whenever a character was
shown sleepwalking....r
Jeff Morris
2016-07-16 12:21:11 UTC
This is very interesting! So it came substantially before the Chipmunks? I wonder if it inspired Ross Bagdasarian or if he never heard it. You might want to pose the question in the official Dr. Demento Facebook group. Dr. D reads it, and unfortunately seems to have stopped reading r.m.d.
Bill Smith
2016-07-25 20:44:33 UTC
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.
w***@epbfi.com
2018-02-07 03:46:37 UTC
The song went something like this: I like picnics by the lake but not like I like a cinnamon cake. I like it cold and I like it hot. When ever its around to ever be got. --------- it went on like that but that has been too long ago.
Bill Smith
2018-07-10 22:03:25 UTC
Post by w***@epbfi.com
Post by Bill Smith
[...]