Rare Quebec comedy routine wanted TQH Flight 52
k***@gmail.com
2012-06-28 18:35:19 UTC
Hi folks,
I've got an urgent plea for information on an old comedy routine from
Quebec, probably dated from back in the 50s.
I don't have the name of the bit, but it centers around a the cockpit
of a small puddle-jumper airplane by the mythical name of TQH Flight
52. I remember most of the skit, and I'll include some quotes below.
The routine was pressed onto a 78 RPM vinyl record which I borrowed
from a high school firend back in the 70s. Some cretin _painted_ over
the label on both sides, and completely over the tracks on the "other"
side of the disk so I never got the info. The whole piece is about 15
minutes long.
Even if you know the bit, but do not have it, I would appreciate any
information on who did it, the actual name of it, the
artists--anything.
Capitain Harbidal Spuldater
Co-pilot: Onézim (used to fly the kiddie-airplane ride at Parc
Belmont)
Stewardess Mimi, who passes out Pepsi and Mae West after departure.
"OK, Onézim, before we go to da took-off pointe, flap da t'ings, make
sure the red light is green and the blue light is on or off as it look
best to you."
"...In the event that the mask pops at you, I ask you to face the rear
of the aeroplane and blow out all your air very very 'ard"
"Welcome aboard TQH Flight 52, with service to (list of forgotten
place names), and many other places in La Belle Province of which I am
not sure, because I do not know which way the wind is blowing."
The end of the skit is "TQH announces the arrival of Flight 52 which
has just landed on runways 3,4,5,6 & 7. Passengers and crew may be met
at the following hospitals."
Stay Demented!
Cheers!
I'm actually too young to remember this in its entirety but my father and his siblings would bring it up on occasion and I have been hunting for a copy since I was a tween just to get the joke... My favourite quote that my brother would say was "An' in case of engine fire, there is no problem, the wings are held on by a special glue and when a fire 'appens my 'copilote'(french accent) just 'as to push a button 'an the wings they fall off!" or something along those lines. If you ever do find a copy of the whole skit please reply to the thread and let me know. I'm dying to know what I missed out on!
w***@gmail.com
2012-10-01 23:28:06 UTC
[...]
I HAVE 'TQH FLIGHT 52" ON A CASETTE! Someone has to tell me now what to do with it.
Cheers
Wolf
t***@gmail.com
2013-03-31 00:24:21 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Wolf, did you get this digitized by chance? Has anyone found a digital copy of it?

I would love to get a copy of it.

Tim
a***@gmail.com
2013-04-07 01:00:54 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Up load it to you tube............please. :-)
We have been trying to find a lost album for years, please share
Marcstlouis@rogers.com
2013-04-15 13:19:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Has anyone found anything else on this? I remember hearing this comedy off my father's 8-track tape when I was about 7 years old. It was very funny
s***@gmail.com
2013-10-03 06:47:11 UTC
Did this go anywhere? I have been looking for this for years.
j***@gmail.com
2013-10-15 12:24:45 UTC
I found it online in 2005 but I can't seem to track it down anymore. I'll keep looking.
j***@gmail.com
2013-11-07 16:36:30 UTC
k***@gmail.com
2013-11-06 22:10:32 UTC
I can digitize it at my audio video studio at a very reasonable price.

Mike
KEMEedia
514-782-3000
Wolf
p***@gmail.com
I remember this routine ....my parents had it on a 33 album and from my understanding it was produce by a couple of amatuers, they worked as air traffic controllers at Dorval Airport. On the B Side there was a skit about the 12 days of christmas that was absolutely hilarious!!!
p***@gmail.com
On a completely different note ....are you the Peter Dougherty who is/was co-owner of McDougherty's Ice Cream on Sherbrooke in Montreal?
p***@gmail.com
TQH Btw means ....Trans Quebec Hairlines
r***@gmail.com
2013-11-06 17:22:52 UTC
I had the entire skit memorized back in 1980. I performed it for my drama class. The strange thing is I started playing it back in my head and I can still remember it!

Don't forget he has many hours experience in driving his brothers tractor on the farm, "and dis makes a big help in steer da aircraf".
t***@gmail.com
2013-12-04 23:18:53 UTC
It was by Montreal Comedian Al Leger.

The flip side had a very funny version of the twelve days of Christmas, and a fake used car dealership.

I too am looking for a copy, so if anyone finds it I'm in for one!!!
t***@gmail.com
2013-12-04 23:22:42 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
It was by Montreal Comedian Al Leger.
The flip side had a very funny version of the twelve days of Christmas, and a fake used car dealership.
I too am looking for a copy, so if anyone finds it I'm in for one!!!
The album art:
Jeff Morris
2013-12-07 14:29:21 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-3144945-1365423201-6105.jpeg
FYI that gives a 403 forbidden message when I try to access it.
b***@gmail.com
2013-12-20 23:54:02 UTC
Post by Jeff Morris
Post by t***@gmail.com
http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-3144945-1365423201-6105.jpeg
FYI that gives a 403 forbidden message when I try to access it.
Hello everyone,

I actually have a copy of the Flight 52 skit along with the 12 days of Christmas and the car dealership skits. I was going to transfer it from cassette to mp3 format. I will likely do this over the holidays. I can post a link to it once I have it done.
d***@gmail.com
Any way you can post a link again that works or if you know of any youtube or other links, please post. Thnaks
b***@gmail.com
2013-12-21 00:16:34 UTC
I have a copy of all three skits on cassette. I was planning to transfer it to mp3 format to send to my friends. I will post a link once I find the tape and convert it.
b***@gmail.com
Cheers!
m***@gmail.com
Cheers!
b***@gmail.com
2014-01-11 15:08:18 UTC
Hello everyone,

I posted earlier that I had a copy of the original recording. I finally found it and converted it to mp3 format. Here is a link to my Dropbox account so that you can finally listen to it for yourselves!

Enjoy!

Bernard

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2hdh62qrbbu0t0m/9TdPUtB61K
Jeff Morris
2014-01-13 15:51:50 UTC
Thanks for posting, it's funnier to hear them than read them.

So this came from an EP or LP of some sort? It's too bad that the album art link posted last month doesn't work.
c***@gmail.com
2014-02-01 01:57:02 UTC
Thank you for uploading to your dropbox!!! We have been.looking for the tqh flight skit for a very long time (we had cassette but it has gone missing over the years)
Thank you for taking the time to upload!
c***@gmail.com
2014-02-01 01:58:33 UTC
j***@gmail.com
Great - thanks for this.
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-08 05:32:30 UTC
My dad played this for our family when I was about 11 years old. I listened to it over and over the the next night I did the routine for my family. I have been looking for it for years.

I currently do standup and this is the routine that got planted in my head to get me started. Thank you so much for posting!
c***@hotmail.com
Thank you so very much! I've been searching for this for years. It brings back such great memories.
c***@hotmail.com
Thank you so very much. I've been looking for this for years. It brings back such great memories.
m***@gmail.com
Amazing to hear again! Thanks for taking the time to do the mpegs! I had these three on an old reel-to-reel tape and I've been wondering for years how to get at them. No worries now!
p***@gmail.com
2016-11-03 11:06:46 UTC
I found the vinyl of this last night at my local thrift store
u***@gmail.com
2016-12-29 21:49:37 UTC
Over Christmas I found a cache of audio cassettes at my mom's house, including this skit!

I've converted to mp3 and uploaded to Chirbit. The audio volume increases after a few seconds:

http://chirb.it/ryzkz8

This was a favourite of my family in Quebec in the 70's, living on airports for my dad's job.

We always called the skit "Hello Tower" and I had no idea who the artist/performer was until today.
Cheers!
m***@gmail.com
Hello From Windsor, I used to have Flight 52 on a cassette.... It no longer works. I would love it if I could get a copy from you. where are you located?
h***@gmail.com
I have this, recorded it off cassette and edited it to make it sound a little better. You still need a copy?
b***@gmail.com
2017-10-17 21:59:45 UTC
Thanks so much for posting your recording. There must also have been another one. I definitely remember the line

Please state your height and position

Well I ham about 5 foots 10 and hin de front of de plane.
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-21 17:21:14 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Thanks so much for posting your recording. There must also have been another one. I definitely remember the line
Please state your height and position
Well I ham about 5 foots 10 and hin de front of de plane.
It's here!

m***@gmail.com
Cheers!
m***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/2cNIxyDtTZc Here you go.
Master chiun
2023-07-20 12:37:32 UTC
The 78rpm may be a Red Herring. It wasn't unusual for airchecks to be pressed
onto 78rpm long after they stopped being commercially available (after 1959 in
Canada).
Didn't know the 78 died before I was born; I though it continued into
the mid-60s for some reason. My family's 78s are long gone, though.
The piece sounds very familiar. It *MAY* have come from the CBC Radio
Comedy show called 'Funny You Should Say That', which aired in the late
60s-early 70s, with Ted Zeigler, Barry Baldaro, and I forget the other two
members.
Oh, Jeez, that troupe sounds VERY familiar. I remember those two names
from either a radio or TV show I used to listen to/watch when I was a
grade schooler (born in 61).
The sketch may also have been revived from the Royal Canadian Air
Farce's early days on radio, because the gag about the plane landing on separate
runways was used in some of their sketches in the 70s and 80s.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Air Farce, although they did one
*marverous* bit in the early 80s, I think, with the French Air Traffic
Controller at Mirabel and the British Airways pilot looking for
landing instructions. This is another recording for which I would
proverbially give body parts, but it's unlikely that it got published.
I had a cassette tape of it many years ago, but it's long since
departed.
"Bonjour, Anglaise!" "Is that radio interferance or are you speaking
French?"
"Go play your Réné Levesque records!"
Try this: go to the CBC Radio webpage, and if there is still a link for The
Royal Canadian Air Farce, send them an e-mail and ask them if anybody recalls
this bit. Canadian comedians who have been around a long time generally are
well-versed on historical comedians. They are also in a position to refer it to
someone at CBC archives, who may be able to trace it down for you.
What a splendid idea! Thanks. The Air Farce has their own site
(airfarce.ca) and I will attempt to contact them via that route. Now
that I'm "living" on the other side of the border (and I use the term
guardedly), it's a lot harder to keep in touch with Canadian issues
and history.
One other thought: if the record was actually pressed in the 50s, it may have
been legendary CBC radio broadcasters Max Ferguson and Allan McFee, who were not
above a little nonsense like this every now and then.
Now those are names I've not heard in a long time.
Good luck in tracking it down.
Thanks.
[...]
If replying by e-mail, please reply to pjd at panix dot com and not the address in the reply-to.
Cheers!
Peter Dougherty
Amatuer Radio: VE3THX /W2
Try this