RIP Oscar Brand
RH Draney
2016-10-01 04:20:44 UTC
Just learned on another newsgroup that legendary folksinger Oscar Brand
has passed away at the age of 96. Best known in these parts for "A
Clean Song" and "Seven Old Ladies Locked In The Lavatory", Brand was the
subject of an interview on The Dr Demento Show in mid 1982.

I imagine there will be an extensive tribute some time in the near
future....r
Jeff Morris
2016-10-03 15:12:53 UTC
I hope so! He put out an insane number of albums. I just got several more recently, and probably don't even have half of what he's done. Dr. D has played a few dozen of his songs, but that's only scratching the surface.

Someone posted a link on the Facebook group that says he hosted the same radio show on WNYC for over 70 years, from Christmas 1945 through September 24, 2016! Wow. And here I thought Dr. D approaching 50 years was perhaps a record. Oscar Brand has a quarter century on him!
RH Draney
2016-10-03 17:46:28 UTC
Post by Jeff Morris
I hope so! He put out an insane number of albums. I just got several more recently, and probably don't even have half of what he's done. Dr. D has played a few dozen of his songs, but that's only scratching the surface.
Someone posted a link on the Facebook group that says he hosted the same radio show on WNYC for over 70 years, from Christmas 1945 through September 24, 2016! Wow. And here I thought Dr. D approaching 50 years was perhaps a record. Oscar Brand has a quarter century on him!
Not to diminish Mr Brand's or Dr Demento's records, but how long has Ken
Nordine been doing what he does?...r
Jeff Morris
2016-10-08 11:52:52 UTC
Not sure, at least since the 50s. Is he still working? I guess his record career was just a sideline, and he's mostly known as a voice announcer right? I just got some CDs from The Annoying Music Show a couple of weeks ago which have him.
RH Draney
2016-10-08 12:28:13 UTC
Post by Jeff Morris
Post by RH Draney
Not to diminish Mr Brand's or Dr Demento's records, but how long has Ken
Nordine been doing what he does?...r
Not sure, at least since the 50s. Is he still working? I guess his record career was just a sideline, and he's mostly known as a voice announcer right? I just got some CDs from The Annoying Music Show a couple of weeks ago which have him.
According to the website of WBEZ in Chicago, "Word Jazz" still airs at
midnight every Sunday night...unfortunately, the links to the show's own
website don't appear to be working....r