"Tell me, Katya" - recordings of this song? Composer?
j***@gmail.com
2009-05-05 22:03:25 UTC
I heard a song in the pre-CD era that starts with a man singing this:

Tell me Katya, Katerina
Do not hide your deepest heart
From dearest friend of yours.
Did you have guests a few
While I was away from you?

Katya then says her guests were a general, a captain, and a private.

Later verses have the man asking what soup and meat they ate and what
they drank. Katya first gives the Russian words, then their English
translation.

In the last verse he asks her what rooms they stayed in. Of the
private, she finally says,

Katya: I won't tell you where he slept!
Man: You must tell me where he slept!
Katya: Who slept?

It was included on a CD by the Mazletones, but the CD is out of print.
There are various places that CD is described, and one where track
excerpts are available, but that's it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone get me a recording of
the song, or information on the composer and when it was composed?

Thanks in advance.
P***@aol.com
2016-12-10 03:20:22 UTC
In response to this very old posting, this song comes from a pair called Gene and Francesca. Gene Raskin is best known for writing "Those Were the Days." Gene taught at Columbia, and he and his wife Francesca recorded a couple of albums, one of which included this charming song.
b***@gmail.com
2017-08-29 05:54:36 UTC
KATYA, KATERINA
From the Russian tune, Katarina Moloditzia.
Gene and Francesca Raskin recorded it.

Tell me Katya, Katerina,
Do not hide your deepest heart from dearest friend of yours.
Had you guests?
Just a few.
While I was away from you?

Ay galupchik, moi galupchik, iz Ivan, doraga.
Ay die die, yay die die, yay die die die die die die.

Tell me Katya, Katerina,
Do not hide your deepest heart from dearest friend of yours.
Tell me now what soup or meat,
Did you give your guests to eat?

Ay golupchik, …

Well the general, he ate baranina. (or - kholodyets)
What’s that?
Veal. (or - calves feet)
And the captain, he ate telyatina.
What’s that?
Mutton.

And my friend, the handsome corporal…
And your friend, the handsome corporal?
He ate borsht.
Borsht?
Borsht.

Tell me Katya, Katerina,
Do not hide your deepest heart from dearest friend of yours.
Not from me secret keep,
Where did you put your guests to sleep?

Ay golupchik, …

Well the general, he slept in gornitza.
What’s that?
That’s a guest room.
And the captain, he slept in svyetlitza.
What’s that?
That’s another guest room.

And my friend the handsome corporal…
Yes your friend the handsome corporal?