Question: Info for "Too Far Away From My Beer"
TopherMusic
2003-10-23 18:55:06 UTC
Long ago, I taped a radio show (not Dr Demento, but a good show none the
less). And on this show they played a song which featured the pithy chorus:

"I'm too far away from my beer
It's way over there and I'm way over here"

It's a great tune, and I play it in bars pretty often. But I do not know
the songwriter's name. Some day I might make a CD and this tune will be on
there. I don't know who to credit!

Can anyone out in the Land of Dementia help me out on this?

Many thanks
j***@gmail.com
2015-11-07 08:53:37 UTC
Post by TopherMusic
Long ago, I taped a radio show (not Dr Demento, but a good show none the
"I'm too far away from my beer
It's way over there and I'm way over here"
It's a great tune, and I play it in bars pretty often. But I do not know
the songwriter's name. Some day I might make a CD and this tune will be on
there. I don't know who to credit!
Can anyone out in the Land of Dementia help me out on this?
Many thanks
walked into a bar last night
got into a terrible fight
in the scuffle I lost my beer
I shore do wish it were here

I recorded that song off the great KXLU (Loyola Marymount) radio show "Happy Trails with Colin and Erin" from the early/mid eitghties. I've since lost the tapes, so damn it...
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 12:41:13 UTC
Post by TopherMusic
Long ago, I taped a radio show (not Dr Demento, but a good show none the
"I'm too far away from my beer
It's way over there and I'm way over here"
It's a great tune, and I play it in bars pretty often. But I do not know
the songwriter's name. Some day I might make a CD and this tune will be on
there. I don't know who to credit!
Can anyone out in the Land of Dementia help me out on this?
Many thanks
So, 14 years later - here it is! The group was called The Bobs, not to be confused with the Bay Area a capella group of the same name. To my knowledge, they had one self released LP on a tiny independent. I thought they were a Florida band and most of the other stuff on the record was typical college rock of the era, Too Far Away From My Beer was clearly a country parody. I dimly recall a connection to the Silos, but that could be wrong, it was a while ago, like 1985. I remember this stanza:

Now don't try to bring me no whiskey
I don't care if it comes straight from Dixie
Don't bring me no bourbon or rye
(all) I'm a beer drankin guy!
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 13:35:46 UTC
Post by TopherMusic
Long ago, I taped a radio show (not Dr Demento, but a good show none the
"I'm too far away from my beer
It's way over there and I'm way over here"
It's a great tune, and I play it in bars pretty often. But I do not know
the songwriter's name. Some day I might make a CD and this tune will be on
there. I don't know who to credit!
Can anyone out in the Land of Dementia help me out on this?
Many thanks
OK, further down the rabbit hole, I found a couple links. The record was called White Gazebo, https://www.discogs.com/Bobs-White-Gazebo/release/4880855

The song is 'The Beer Tune'

And I'm right, Bob Rupe (later) of the Silos was in the band. Here's an interview with Bob covering his time with The Bobs.

http://www.trashfever.com/brinterview.htm