The Dr. Demento Show (live on KMET) - May 2, 1976 (7p-11p)
Jeff Morris
2017-04-10 15:38:17 UTC
#1 & #3 in the top ten are items never played in syndication. This isn't
too surprising since they're local in nature, although so is #7 and it has
been played in syndication several times. What's interesting about #3 is
that it was played earlier in the show and also made the top ten. This
happened on occasion when the song was first played that week and was
instantly popular, such as "My Bologna". But in this case, the song had
debuted the week before, and he mentioned it being one of the most requested
items in a long time, and even had a petition for the top ten this week,
so it's interesting that he went ahead and played it during the main show
when it sounds like it was already likely to make the top ten.

Another interesting thing happens after "Camelot" - you get a rare glimpse
into Jungle Judy's phone answering duties. At this time, the phones were
not in a separate room. I believe that changed later in the year when the
studio moved to a new building. But in the background you can hear her
answering several phone calls. Obviously there were a lot of people calling.
You can also occasionally hear what they requested, including a call for
Alfred Yankovic's only song to make the show so far, "Belvedere Cruisin'"!
I wonder if the call was from a friend of his, or even Al himself.

playlist courtesy of The Dr. Demento Show
* You can request songs for the show at http://drdemento.com/request/
* Past playlists are at the Demented Music Database (http://dmdb.org/)
* The Dr. Demento Show is online at http://drdemento.com/online.html?i=DDS17

The Dr. Demento Show (live on KMET) - May 2, 1976 (7p-11p)
The Wedding Of Jacqueline Kennedy To Russell Mael - Sparks
My Daddy Is President - Little Jo
Springtime For Hitler - Mel Brooks
Everybody Wants A Little Peace - Billy Gray & The Hollywood Band Box Revue

There's A Wah Wah Girl In Agua Caliente - Ian Whitcomb
George - Dolores Hawkins
Still No Sign Of Land - Monty Python
Polka Dotted Pollywampus - Clint Miller

I Wanna Eat Your Pudding - Alvis Wayne
Ice Cream Man - Chants
I Like Bananas (Because They Have No Bones) (later version) - Hoosier Hot Shots
Yes, We Have No Bananas! - Spike Jones & His City Slickers
A Song With A Peel - Spike Jones Jr.

Pop Hates The Beatles - Allan Sherman
Bald Head - Professor Longhair
Minnie The Moocher - Cab Calloway & His Orchestra
She's My Girl (live w/ intro) - Tom Lehrer
Don't Touch Me There - The Tubes

Freedom train sfx
Railroad Hour: Walkin' Down The Railroad Track - Frankie Marvin
Money - Big Jim Buchanan
Casey At The Bat - DeWolf Hopper
Blue Danube Waltz (excerpt) - Eugene Ormandy & The Minneapolis Symphony

Driving In The Lane With Diamonds - Big Daddy
Back Seat Driver - Brad Stanfield
Skateboard Bill - Corky Carroll & His Funkdog Surf Band w/ The Corkettes

Nickie The Nark - Lyle Crosbie
Mysterious Mose - Dick Robertson
The Big Black Hat - Rolf Harris

Any Ice Today Lady - Billy Murray/Aileen Stanley
The Man Doesn't Come To Our House Anymore - Tommy Tucker Time
The Visitors - Monty Python
Open The Door, Richard - Jack McVea
Ride, Red, Ride - Mills Blue Rhythm Band
The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine - Laurel & Hardy w/ The Avalon Boys f/ Chill Wills

Eating Goober Peas - Rusty Draper
Oh For A Week In The Country - Bruz Fletcher
Who Takes Care Of The Caretaker's Daughter - Ukulele Ike
Alimony - Tex Williams

Beans - Fletcher Peck
Dunkin' Bagel - Slim Gaillard
The Flubber Song - Fred McMurray

America The Beautiful (brief in-studio performance) - Jungle Judy
Yankee Doodle - Piper's Gap Ramblers
Yankee Doodle Go Home - Stan Freberg
Eagle Eye Finkle - Eddie DeLange/Elisse Cooper
I'm No Communist - Carson Robinson

Take Off Your Clothes - Peter Sarstedt
Everybody Wants My Fanny - Benny Bell
The Hair Piece - George Carlin
Cement Mixer - Slim Gaillard
Everythinig That's Made Of Wood Was Once A Tree - Louis Jordan
Court Of King Caractacus - Rolf Harris
Camelot - Monty Python

Anaheim - Kathy May & Diane Christenson
L.L.L.L.A. - Mello-larks
San Fernando Valley - Bing Crosby
Los Angeles, Los Angeles - Zanies
Pico And Sepulveda (The Street Song) - Felix Figueroa & His Orchestra
#10 Spam - Monty Python
#9 Deteriorata - National Lampoon

Deteriorata (brief excerpt) - National Lampoon
#8 Lumberjack Song/Monty Python Theme (Live At Drury Lane) - Monty Python

#7 D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really? No, O'Malley) - Danny Kaye
#6 Gumball Wizard - Brad Stanfield
#5 Argument Clinic - Monty Python
#4 Shaving Cream - Benny Bell
#3 Driving In The Lane With Diamonds - Big Daddy
#2 Love Song - Albert Brooks

#1 Fly Away Tse Tse Fly - Sulu
RH Draney
2017-11-28 00:08:13 UTC
Post by Jeff Morris
playlist courtesy of The Dr. Demento Show
* You can request songs for the show at http://drdemento.com/request/
* Past playlists are at the Demented Music Database (http://dmdb.org/)
* The Dr. Demento Show is online at http://drdemento.com/online.html?i=DDS17
I Wanna Eat Your Pudding - Alvis Wayne
Ice Cream Man - Chants
I Like Bananas (Because They Have No Bones) (later version) - Hoosier Hot Shots
Yes, We Have No Bananas! - Spike Jones & His City Slickers
A Song With A Peel - Spike Jones Jr.
Sorry it's taken me so long to bring this up (the show was featured on
the website all the way back in April), but it struck me that the melody
of "Ice Cream Man" in this segment is the tune I've been trying to
identify for years...it was played by ice-cream trucks all through my
childhood in SoCal in the '60s, and I want to know what the original
source is (people from other parts of the country think ice-cream trucks
play either "Turkey in the Straw", "Greensleeves" or the Mister Softee
theme, but this is different)....

I mentioned the song on another forum not long ago, and when I referred
to the artist "Chants", was pointed to a YouTube link saying the song
was by Bob Chance (aka Bob Wahlsteen) and performed by "Jubal's
Children"...that link is at
if it refreshes
anyone's memory....r