Can anyone identify this song?
Leslie Houk
2003-12-17 16:27:28 UTC
Not too long ago, I woke up singing a song I hadn't thought of in
years. It was a song I had on a 45 record as a child, and I can still
remember the lyrics:

Did you ever, ever lose an elephant?
It's really quite a silly thing to do.
But there's something that is even sillier,
And that is losing two!

Well, that's what we have done today.
Arthur and Celeste have run away.
Their mothers cry and worry so,
"Oh where, oh where did our elephants go?"

We have lost two little elephants.
We're looking north and south and east and west
For two thousand pounds of dear little elephant
Named Arthur and Celeste.

I know that Arthur and Celeste are from Babar, but that's all I know.
If you knowledgeable dementites (is that the correct term?) could tell
me who sang this song and when, it would help me to get the silly
thing out of my head! A heartfelt thank you in advance to all who
reply.
LDixie
2006-03-18 14:01:08 UTC
It's from an album by a Canadian singer named Gisele MacKenzie from the
late 50's or early 60's. I think it was called Songs of Babar and it was
her telling the story and singing songs. Out of print. I believe the "B"
side of the 45 you had was "The Big Grey Elephant Team".
j***@gmail.com
I heard this on a 33 record, with other songs, one was about a dilly-dallier is a shilly-shallier and a shilly shallier never do
j***@gmail.com
2019-12-02 08:25:58 UTC
I remember the dilly dallier song as well. Trying to find that, but it's been impossible
b***@hotmail.com
2019-12-09 04:33:52 UTC
Here it is on youtube

p***@gmail.com