Inspiration For "Masochism Tango"?
e***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 17:26:59 UTC
Here I am from the future of 2017.

I too have recently heard of Tom Lehrer and was listening to his song on this little thing called YouTube and I really do love the his songs. I especially thought "Masochism Tango" had a great melody to it and I wanted to see if there was a original version of it. Well finding things are a lot easier nowadays so all i did was type in, 'piano tango music' into the YouTube search bar and sure enough, got this old song called "El Choclo", a popular song written by 'Ángel Villoldo'. A quick look into it's Wikipedia page (i don't know if you had those in the 90's) and it tell me, this song was covered with vocals, under the name 'Kiss of Fire" by many musicians and was popular in the 50's.

So i was pretty confident this was Tom's inspiration for the song, and just to be sure i searched 'Inspiration For Masochism Tango' into google which ultimately led me here.

So here I'm 18 years in the future, getting all this information in just a few minutes of Googling ('Googling' or 'Google it' phrases I'm sure weren't household phrases in the 90's and early 2000's) and was wondering how hard it must be in the 90's, a time when the internet was so small, to get information like this. We sure have come along way.

P.S
I'm probably, like one of 5 to 8 people who have come across this post since the year this was posted. That's because this generation has terrible taste in, I'm not sure I can even call it music.
RH Draney
2017-10-06 22:38:09 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
I too have recently heard of Tom Lehrer and was listening to his song on this little thing called YouTube and I really do love the his songs. I especially thought "Masochism Tango" had a great melody to it and I wanted to see if there was a original version of it. Well finding things are a lot easier nowadays so all i did was type in, 'piano tango music' into the YouTube search bar and sure enough, got this old song called "El Choclo", a popular song written by 'Ángel Villoldo'. A quick look into it's Wikipedia page (i don't know if you had those in the 90's) and it tell me, this song was covered with vocals, under the name 'Kiss of Fire" by many musicians and was popular in the 50's.
'sfunny how often I'll stumble across the original of a parody that I
didn't know was a parody...happens a lot with Weird Al, but the biggest
surprise was one of the songs from the 1982 funny song contest, "My Name
is Not Merv Griffin"...all this time I thought it was an original, and
then it turned up as a tune with nonsense French and Italian lyrics in
Charlie Chaplin's 1936 movie "Modern Times" (and a few seconds on
Wikipedia tells me the song was written in 1917!)...r