The Dr. Demento Show (live on KSCA) - December 8, 1996 (10p-12m)
Jeff Morris
2018-12-17 15:26:54 UTC
Here's a rare occurrence - the playlist for the live show in L.A. was 100%
identical to the national playlist for the same date! He had pre-recorded
the national show a few weeks earlier, but recreated it live on KSCA this
night rather than having them play the CDs that were sent to other stations
around the country.

It's interesting to see what songs heard back then are being heard on the
Christmas shows this year, and which ones have rarely (if ever) been heard
since then.

playlist courtesy of The Dr. Demento Show
The Dr. Demento Show (live on KSCA) - December 8, 1996 (10p-12m)
Special Topic: the first of our special Christmas shows this year; celebrating Hanukkah
I Want A Blow Up Doll For Christmas - Arnie Aardvark
All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth) - Spike Jones & His City Slickers
I've Got Some Presents For Santa - Sarah Taylor & Bill Mumy
Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt

Holy S**t, It's Christmas - Red Peters
Frosty The Dope Man - Marc Zydiak
Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope - Martin Mull
Demented News With Whimsical Will

Santa's Lament - Father Guido Sarducci
Santa, Welcome To The Modern World - Pat Godwin
A Boy Named Santa - Teen Angels
I Am Santa Claus - Bob Rivers Twisted Radio

Hanukkah Rocks - Gefilte Joe & The Fish
I'm A Christmas Tree - Wild Man Fischer & Dr. Demento
Hanukkah Homeboy - Doc Mo She
Leroy, The Redneck Reindeer - Joe Diffie

What Can You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb?) (brief accidental excerpt) - The Star Wars Intergalactic Droid Choir & Chorale [Meco]
Yule-Sat - Reduced Shakespeare Company
What Can You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb?) - The Star Wars Intergalactic Droid Choir & Chorale [Meco]
Santa And The Doodle-li-boop - Art Carney
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Joseph Spence

My Dream Of Christmas - Joe Martin
Wreck The Halls - The Three Stooges
Chainsaw Carollers - Johnny Whitecloud
It's Christmas And I Wonder Where I Am - The Bob & Tom Band

Little Drum Machine Boy (early fade) - Beck
#5 Redneck Twelve Days Of Christmas - Jeff Foxworthy
#4 Ding, Fries Are Done - Billy

#3 Christmas At Ground Zero - "Weird Al" Yankovic
#2 The Chanukah Song - Adam Sandler

#1 The Night Santa Went Crazy (extra gory version) - "Weird Al" Yankovic
next week: another super Christmas show
RHDraney
2018-12-17 18:28:03 UTC
Post by Jeff Morris
Here's a rare occurrence - the playlist for the live show in L.A. was 100%
identical to the national playlist for the same date! He had pre-recorded
the national show a few weeks earlier, but recreated it live on KSCA this
night rather than having them play the CDs that were sent to other stations
around the country.
I have the radio-station copy of an April Fool's Day show from 1988 that
was given to me by a friend at the station that was supposed to be
airing it at that time...it's on a couple of vinyl LPs (with the odd
feature that the commercials for Bubblicious and such have out-grooves
that repeat, the only place I've seen that other than at the end of a
record....

Was the switch from distributing the show on vinyl to CD concurrent with
the switch from Westwood One to On the Radio, or did it happen earlier?...r
Jeff Morris
2018-12-17 18:42:27 UTC
Yep, that's exactly when that change happened! This will explain further:

http://dmdb.org/images/drddj.html

And the locked groove feature was done on other radio shows as well, because that's where local commercials would be inserted, and this way if the DJ didn't stop the record quick enough, at least it wouldn't start back into the show over top of the local commercials.