The Waunakee Song
Searcher
2004-12-22 20:33:47 UTC
Hello Everyone, A newbie here...
I'm looking for the title/artist of a song that was *very* popular
around here (Madison, Wisconsin) in the early 80s, all about a young
woman from Chicago who wanted to spend time with "poor people in a
foreign land / so she came to college in Wisconsin."

I can only remember some of the lyrics, and I may be mixing up verses,
but here are some of the high points:

(second half of one verse)
Well, a farmer may be stupid
But in one thing he's no fool
He keeps his cows down on the farm
He don't send 'em off to school

(refrain)
But then what the hell do I know
I come from Waunakee
I wear animal pelts, I eat raw meat
I sleep in a hollow tree
I'd like to thank y'all
For pointing out my lack
Of breeding, taste, and poise
Like they have in Chicago, Illinois

(later verse about meeting up with some of her friends)
So she sits in the student union, with her friends and whines:
"Oh, the food here is just awful!
All they eat are brats and beer.
And they think it's fun to get stinking drunk
And shoot poor, defenseless deer!
You can't find a decent museum,
Theater or croissant
Oh god, I'll just die from lack of culture,
(something in French I don't remember)"

(another line I don't remember ending with "joint")
The best beer in the world doesn't come from Holland;
It comes from Stevens Point
And you can keep your damn Art Institute
I think "Picasso"'s a stupid name
The best work of art is a Green Bay Packer game

I know, that's a lot of lyrics to remember and somehow NOT remember the
name of the song, but I have a weird brain. Can anyone assist? Thanks
e***@aol.com
2004-12-22 22:09:35 UTC
I remember this song. I also remember it had the word "flatlander" in
the title or artist. I searched through Jeff's vast Dr Demento archives
and found <Flatlander's Blues - Dan Reilly & The Barnswallows> played
once back in 1989.

If that's not it, try contacting Neil Heinen (currently the head of the
OpEd Dept at www.channel3000.com. Back in the early 80s he was one of
the morning radio guys on WIBA-FM.
Jeff Morris
2004-12-26 02:01:04 UTC
Post by e***@aol.com
I remember this song. I also remember it had the word "flatlander" in
the title or artist. I searched through Jeff's vast Dr Demento archives
and found <Flatlander's Blues - Dan Reilly & The Barnswallows> played
once back in 1989.
That song is a Wisconsin anti-Illinois song, not the song in question,
unfortunately.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to give the sought after details.
ArtPaul Schlosser
No I think whoever was looking for it might have heard the Go Back To Chicago(The Waunakee song) in Madison at the University because the guy that wrote it used to play it a lot at the University because he was an alumni here and also part of the University comedians here back in the 80's and a lot of the lyrics are similar but unless whoever was looking for it listens to it themselves will never know for sure.
Thaddeus Blanchette
Thaddeus Blanchette
Thaddeus Blanchette
Thaddeus Blanchette
i***@yahoo.com
2004-12-24 01:16:51 UTC
Hi,I'm ART PAUL and I saw this song performed twice at the open mic
here in Madison at The Memorial Union Ratskeller but I can't tell you
who did it or the Title of the song but if you know either of those you
could go to http://mypage.iu.edu/~jbmorris/ and type it on the search
engine and it will tell you if it was played on Dr Demento and when.
ArtPaul
2014-04-24 19:30:36 UTC
Post by Searcher
name of the song, but I have a weird brain. Can anyone assist? Thanks
Okay I found more information and the song has not been played on Dr Demento but is available on youtube at
I discovered it by accident when I was looking for the song Undergrad Pickup Rag which was played on Dr Demento twice and I discovered this website http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/130693088423/A_L_Kammen_Go_Back_to_Chicago__The_Undergrad_Pick__Up_Rag_1984_45rpm_VG which as a picture of a 45 which both Undergrad Pickup Rag and Go Back To Chicago (The Waunakee Song). Both songs are by A.L. Kammen & The Bachelor Pad. I hope this helps you out.